Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Big things come in small packages

Bull. Small packages just can't fit big things quite the way that big packages can. In particular, I'm talking about my new Mini Laptop, the Eee PC.

I got this computer as a spare, to keep in my school bag for taking notes in class and accessing the internet on the fly (since I use Verizon and therefore don't have an Iphone like everyone else.) My primary computer - a 10 lb, 17.5" HP notebook - Is hella fast and great to work on. Unfortunately, it takes forever to start-up and requires a separate bag for transportation. With all of the great tech sales going on, I decided to take advantage of the crappy economy and pick up the 9" notebook that I'd had my eyes on since they first hit the market.

Let's start by saying that I am well aware that you get what you pay for (or in this case, don't.) At less than $300, I didn't expect my Eee to be lightening fast, or have a lot of hd space, but I did expect it to be at least as functional as my 3 year-old Palm Pilot. So far, it doesn't look promising.

Granted, I've only been using it for about 4 hours, but the network is slow, the programs are slow and the interface doesn't feel very customizable. I'm hoping that it grows on me as I get used to its eccentricities and it's teeenie little keyboard, but I see many upgrades in the near future.

One such upgrade is the hard drive. Right now, the solid state drive holds a whopping 8 gigs. Less than my Ipod. It comes with a subscription for an online storage package, but I can't see a benefit to doing that when I have my own server space.

Speaking of that agreement, while reviewing the terms, I came across something very odd. One of the things that they disclaim in their agreement is that they accept no liability for suspension of service in many cases. One of those cases is: "Suspension or termination due to acts of God."

The phrasing of this note strikes me as odd on so many levels. First off, if we accept their terms, are we also accepting that God exists? If they're trying to excuse the unforseen, couldn't they have blamed acts of nature, or did they want to allow room for burning bushes and locusts?

At any rate, I wanted to share my experience and say with as much authority as I can muster while typing on a 8" keyboard, try these suckers out for a good-long time before you buy one for yourself!

No comments: